Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chatelaine with an Aide Memoire...

The reason for all my bookadventures...

I wanted to have Chatelaines for our victorian style costumes to wear at the Elf Fantasy Fair in the Netherlands. When researching the subject, I found them to be way to expensive to just buy a complete chatelaine, let alone 3 sets. So I decided I would make them myself.
This turned out to be a complete journey all by itself. Trough historical sites, jewelry making sites and tutorials, ebay adventures and finally, book making sites.


 Because every respactable chatelaine, seems to have an "Aide Memoire" attached to it.
An Aide Memoire is a little booklet. used by ladies of the day, for writing in notes, journalling or for use as a ball book. For this pupose the lucky gentleman could then write his name in the ball book to reserve a dance with the lady. Now, I did buy a little Aide Memoire off Ebay, but could not bring myself to buy 3 of those, hence the booklet making adventures.

And I love it. I love making them I love holding them and flicking through them. I love viewing books other people made and watching youtube videos.
By now I have made several books and booklets and decided I would be alble to make a little Aide Memoire". Well 2 actualy, so without further ado... The chatelaine for my girls, finished and with Aide Memoire.



Now this chatelaine also has a tiny pincushion attached to it, as the ladies of the day used to do. Needles were not as cheap as they are today, so they carried them with them. Often on a sewing chatelaine. The pincushion you see here were also made by me. There are two different styles shown here and two different colours, so they can choose wich one to wear to the Elf Fantasy fair.





I had a lot of fun making these and hope you like them.
Thank you for your interrest. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions below, I will respond to all.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow this is adorable! just wonderful
    ( I most love the booklett) So amazing!
    XOXO
    SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SanDee, I'm glad you like it.
    The little booklets are such fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely brilliant!

    Love your booklets AND the pin cushions! Awesome artwork!

    Hugs,
    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! The pincushions are very tiny and cute... and super easy to make. Come to think of it...so are the booklets =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...