Friday, March 15, 2013

Altered box

My daughter gave me some old diddle boxes that she no longer liked. We figured we would alter them. So last night I started on one of the boxes. I didn't really know where I wanted to go with the box, but I thought it would come to me as I progressed.



I just received some really nice Prima paper, the 6" by 6" Engraver paper pad and decided to use that on the box. I first sanded the little box, because the paper, it was covered in, was very shiny and smooth. I then painted it black with acrylic paint.



I covered it with the Engraver paper, after I had first distressed the paper with scissors and black soot distress stain. Once the entire box was covered, I sanded it a little and then went over it with a very thin layer of the glue, just to make sure all the edges would stay down. I then distressed it even further with walnut stain. After doing all that, the little shelf inside the box wouldn't fit nicely anymore. I tried sanding it down a little further, but to no avail. It seemed to stick a little.

After thinking a while about what to do about this, I thought of my antique beeswax polish, I use on my antique coffee table. So I polished the entire box with it. This gave a really nice soft, old and worn finish to the box and the shelf did seem to fit again.


I still didn't know where the box was going. I could just use it for storage, or make it into a shadow box. I remembered I had once bought a tiny little alarm clock with (faux) bells and figured I would find it, strip it and  alcohol ink it, just in case I would use the box as a shadow box.





As you can see, there is one more box left to alter and even one more alarm clock. For now I will put them aside for a bit, while I ponder on what to do with them and how to execute that. Especially as the beeswax has solved one problem, it had also brought another one, how to glue things to the waxed box? Maybe you have some tips for me, on what kind of glue to use with this type of surface?

Anyway for now, I started on a tag, to try out some types of glue with beeswaxed paper, but that'll be for another post.

Thank you for watching and should you have any comments or tips maybe, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...